Sunday, April 18, 2010

Was it infrasound, terror, my imagination...none,....or all of the above?



I've been pondering a lot over the past winter, about an event that took place on the summer 2009 NESRA expedition in the Adirondack Park. There had been some strange and interesting movements and sounds in the forest, noted by a couple of us on the night operation stake outs. I am still blown away by these movements. How something can change position in the terrain that we were in, with all the thick brush and leaf litter...and not be heard moving from position to position...is mind boggling to me, unless there was more than one subject doing the moving, in the ravine below us. One more thing that I'll probably never know. There was also a knocking response to an investigator's (the first member to arrive at the basecamp) rock knocks, as well as an immediate tree crash (sounding like a tree was uprooted or pushed over) , that followed. The recorded clip from that incident (recorded by LI Yeti), can be heard here:

http://soundcloud.com/imonacan/nesra-expedition-7-31-09-8-2-09-1-edit-3-wood-knocks-and-crash-wav-clip

The second night, a while after the operations had concluded...I decided it was time to turn in, (as several members had done so, already), but first, I wanted to take a walk down the narrow dirt road that lead into our camp, to place out my portable audio recorder for the night...in hopes of recording something interesting. This was the same spot where I had put out the recorder on the previous night, near some bait and curiousity lures that were also put out by others in our group. I mentioned to the two remaining members at the campfire, that I'd be taking a walk, and what I'd be doing. I really thought nothing of taking the 10 minute or so stroll down the dark road. To start out with...I felt no fear or hesitance to do this task. After coming to a point away from camp, where I had a steep forested hill to my right, and a thick swampy area of forest to my left...I began to feel strange, as if something or someone was watching and keeping pace with me, to my left out in the forest. I decided to stop dead(and fast), and then heard several crunching sounds that my brain interpreted, as steps. A combination of a feeling of fear, confusion, and uneasiness came over me, and gradually got more intense, as I pressed on realizing that I was just several hundred yds or so from my destination. My legs got very heavy, and the feeling got worse, and after only going another 50 ft, or so...I stopped dead in my tracks, again, and heard another crunching step to my left. At this point, I felt as if I could not proceed any further. I was confused, scared, and a bit angry, at not understanding what the hell was going on. I bent over, while breathing deeply, and still looking over left into the forest and swamp with my headlamp, and seeing nothing. I had my 2 way radio in one hand, and my audio recorder and tripod in the other...but somehow didn't care about using the radio, or unpausing the recorder. The urge to get out of there, and back to camp...took over my thoughts, completely, and overwhelmed any common sense thoughts of just walking a little more, and getting the recorder put out......remember?, what I went out on the walk, to do. I walked back at a brisk pace (not running), still scanning the forest with the headlamp. When I got to the point where the trail turned to the left, and headed up to camp, near two of our parked vehicles...there was a tremendous thud...sounding like something very heavy had been slammed on the ground. You might ask...did I happen to wake up and get this recorded ?....why no, off course not. When I arrived at camp, the other two members were standing up by the fire, and looking in my direction. They asked me if I had heard the loud thud (yes), and if by some chance, the sound had come from me. I said no, and gradually explained the event while downing a 16oz mountain dew in nothing flat, due to extreme dry mouth. After a while, we all agreed to walk together to put out my recorder, and investigate the area, including a run off pond next to the swampy area. Armed, with a gun (just in case) , bear spray, and lights...we found nothing, but the resident beaver who swam over to greet us .
I don't really know if a sasquatch could produce infrasound, as I never saw a squatch.... or anything else for that matter. I imagine it possibly could...but this would be just speculation and theory, which I know everyone is tired of. I don't really know what an infrasound blast feels like...or do I... now? Did my already expedition investigative orientated mind...imagine being shadowed and stalked, and just put me into a temporary brain terror mode? I only have the questions, and the story (Yes, it's a true story)...but unfortunately, not the answers I seek.

Note: After reviewing and monitoring my overnight recordings from that same area (from the previous night) .... I discovered some very interesting sounds, that included crunching steps, something scratching or licking on the fake fur mic cover of my recorder, that was placed 6 ' off the ground in a tree crotch, and a single popping sound...that sounded remarkably like a tongue click or someone popping their palate. The most interesting fact...is that all the sounds happened very close together, during a short overnight period. Nothing was heard crunching, again... or walking away. The clip I mention, can be heard at this link:

http://soundcloud.com/imonacan/ovrnght-8-1-pt1-clipe Finally, on the Sunday morning we walked back to the same area, to collect the recorder, bate, and lures.. there was a extended "x" strick structure built nearby (obvious from the dirt road), that was not there before (quite certain of that). The structure included a live sapling bent (90 deg) into it. I'm confident, my recorder would have picked up any human or known animal, or natural culprit (it was calm out).. but didn't, except for the above audio.

No comments: