Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A tale of four eclipses






Astronomy is one of my past times. I can't think of anything that caused me to have such a natural rush, and moments of exhilaration in my life....than to witness an eclipse of the sun. I'll start out by saying from experience, that a partial solar eclipse, or a total or partial lunar eclipse...is a breathtaking sight....but does not even come close too... a total solar eclipse. To bask in the moon's shadow during totality, and gaze at the otherwise invisible solar corona, with the covered sun appearing like a large living sunflower in the sky...is something I'll never ever forget, and long to do again. It is easy for me to understand, how this event could have struck fear and awe into ancient cultures, ...that interpreted the meaning of the event, in many different ways. It even started wars, and was interpreted as a warning, or a sign from the gods to attack an enemy.
For someone that says "no big deal"...I will venture to guess that this person has not yet witnessed one, and could never (truthfully) say that, after they did. There are groups of people who chase these events around the globe, and plan their lives around them. I would indeed like to join them, if it was at all possible.
Against the advice of the folks I traveled with to the Philippines , to attend a 10 year reunion in March of 1988.....I booked a flight from Manila to General Santos City. Why would I leave the relative safety of other Americans and many friendly locals, to travel to a region known for violence between the muslim separatist groups, and the Philippine government and military...in addition to the potential for kidnappings of foreigners ? Well, to try to witness my first total solar eclipse, that was scheduled to happen on that day, and blanket the entire southern half of Mindanao, in the temporary darkness of the moon's shadow. My flight was late (very common in the RP), but I did witness the event, from the airport in Gen. Santos, and not from my hotel, like I had originally planned. No matter.... I was hooked, after seeing this...WOW...what a spectacle and atmosphere. What I noticed the most (with my 10x50 binoculars) , was the 2 very large red prominences (top and bottom) projecting off the edge of the eclipsed sun during totality, and the magnificent sight of the solar corona. I was in awe of what I had just witnessed...but needed a dose of reality, from someone. I stayed at the airport, after being told by a friendly Pinoy local, that took in the eclipse with to me.... about the current situation and happenings (kidnappings for ransom , and even beheadings) in the region, even within the normally safer city. Sometimes...things happen for a good reason. I arranged to catch a return flight to Manila, and remained at the airport....and that, was that.
In May of 1994, myself and my young niece were treated to an annular eclipse of the sun, from my (former) backyard in Hamlin, NY. The moon is not close enough or large enough to completely cover the solar disk, so what is left is what is called "the ring of fire". This was a treat to see using eclipse glasses, so not to burn our retinas. Even staring at a small slice of the sun, can do permanent damage to your eyes...so always use protection and caution. The only safe time to view with the naked eye, is during the moments of totality (if during a total eclipse, of course). I would jump at another chance to view an annular eclipse, and hope to have another opportunity. I wish I had been more prepared, and shot a couple photos of this event. We did notice that it did get a bit darker and the temps dropped around 5 degrees, with all the birds going silent on a normal sunny mid spring day. I think that nature fools nature...for the moments during an eclipse.
I had been waiting for another total eclipse, that wasn't on the other end of the planet. I was very disappointed to miss "the big one" in 1991, in Mexico, and had read many reports and seen lots of footage and photos.
I started to plan for the next one, that would take a path through the Caribbean in Feb. of 1998. I just had to make this one...somehow. My first marriage was not at all healthy in the late '90s, and when I told my exwife that I was going on a cruise that would take me around the Carribbean, and either Montserrat or Aruba to attempt to see a total eclipse, the reaction, was at first... negative. She finally approached me, and said "the only way...is if you take me along" . I calmly said "ok", and booked the cruise package and flights almost one year in advance with the Astronomical League, that would be sailing on the Carnival Cruise lines.... MS Fascination .
We arrived in San Juan, PR, to board. This was my first cruise, and I must say I was overwhelmed with the service, food, boat full of friendly happy people, and everything else happening on board with the Astronomical League...that put on some outstanding presentations.
We sailed to US Virgin Islands (where I snorkeled until exhausted), Guadaloupe, Grenada, Caracas ( pre Hugo Venezuela), and finally Aruba. I want to live on a cruise ship, and understand why some folks with lots of $$...almost do. The cruise, ship's crew and service, food, choices, and ports of call...was outstanding. We had the choice, of disembarking with my equipment to view the eclipse from land, on Aruba...or sail back out to sea, and chase the shadow on a mobile cruise ship. I wanted to photograph the event, this time...and decided that I would take it in from land. Surprisingly, the ex Mrs wonderful.... joined me. The Astronomical League had reserved a large grounds, next to the ocean...with beautiful tropical gardens, food, and an unobstructed view of the SW...from which the moons shadow would be racing in from, at us. This all sounded too perfect, maybe? The weather prospects for a clear sky in February, on Aruba...was over an 80% chance. It looked good, until about an hour and a half before the start of the eclipse. After the lot of us (a large field and garden full of eclipse chasers) had set up our scopes, cameras, and viewing areas...it really clouded up, and actually started to sprinkle. It put everyone in a dismal mood, as there was cloud cover from horizon to horizon.
The partial phases of the eclipse began, with the sky still cloudy, but clearing up to our west. About 1o minutes or so before the start of totality...the crescent sun was visible, with the happy cheers of many anxious people...realizing that they were going to see this eclipse, and that the sky gods were again smiling.
I was able to take many photographs during the various partial phases, and during totality. Two of the pictures are here. One, is of the "diamond ring" that is the moment when the first sliver of sun emerges from behind the moon. The other photo being during mid totality, with the corona clearly visible. During totality, it was dark enough to view the two planets (Jupiter and Venus) that were near to the sun... which is another sky bonus, that would only happen and be visible during a total eclipse. The two plus minutes of totality goes quick, and before you know it...it's all over. A report on the event, by the most well know eclipse chaser ...Fred Espenak, is here:

http://www.mreclipse.com/SEreports/TSE1998reports/TSE98Espenak.html

The Fascination fared just as well out to sea, and treated the passengers on board to a stunning view near the smoking gun of the Montserrat volcano, that was still spewing a cloud of post eruption ash into the sky. The advantage to staying aboard the ship....was the mobility of the ship that could dodge the clouds while remaining in the path of the eclipse...which the captain and crew accomplished very well, much to the delight of the many viewers that lined the ship's decks. It was fortunate that both land and sea viewers...had gotten what they had come to see, and then some. When the ship ported again , to pick us up in Oranjestad , Aruba...there were many stories to share at dinner, and though out the last leg of the cruise, that headed back to San Juan. One thing I told myself...is, if I had the privilege to witness another one of these events, that it would be taken in with my naked eyes and senses (the whole experience), and that I would not spend as much of the precious several minutes behind a camera and tripod.
I got that chance again , the following year. I had been looking into another cruise that was put on by North Star expeditions, that was set to sail out out NY City, for 10 days out in the North Atlantic and along the Canadian Maritimes (around Newfoundland). In no shape or manner, could I afford the trip to Europe , or better yet, Turkey...where the best weather chances to view the August 11, 1999 eclipse, was to be had. This cruise aboard the aging "Regal Empress", was my only chance. The eclipse shadow would actually start out in the N. Atlantic in the very early AM, before it raced toward the coast of the British Isles, and though parts of Europe and Asia.
The chances for a clear sky, to have the chance to see this eclipse, had the dimmest prospects on the entire path....giving less than a 30% chance. If nothing else...I would enjoy this cruise with my son, and take in some whale watching and enjoy some sea bird viewing, and the fine foods and ports of call in places I haven't been...and who knows.... we could get lucky.
My son and I took a Greyhound down to NYC, from Rochester (not a recommended form of transportation, after trying this). and arrived at Penn Station, where we caught a cab to the pier and boarded the Regal Empress. It was a beautiful August day, with the sun shining on the city, as we slowly sailed by Manhattan, and made the turn past the south end of island. I remember vividly, the image of the magnificent twin World Trade towers, with the sun gleaming off them. I often watch the camcorder footage I shot that day... to remember the towers, and to all who lost their lives and made sacrifices on that tragic morning, that would take place two years later, after our cruise. Lady Liberty was also a treat to sail by, and the whole NY Harbor scene... was a bonus.
We sailed first to Halifax, NS, and then out to sea to hopefully rendezvous with the rising sun, already eclipsed in the partial phase. Totality would take place with the sun just 15 degrees above the ocean. While in Halifax, we had a weather update from Joe Rao (NYC meteorologist and one of the organizers of the cruise). The weather had a good chance of providing a window of clarity on the morning of the eclipse...and the excitement was building. Could the "ship of fools " be the first to view this eclipse ? Here is a Joe's report on the cruise:

http://www.mreclipse.com/SEreports/TSE1999reports/TSE99Rao.html

We awoke at sea, and most folks had their alarms set...early. The seas were calm, and the sky was clear, accept for a few clouds on the horizon. To view the crescent sun rising over the water, was an experience I won't ever forget (see picture...as seen looking through one of the ship's lifeboats). We all experienced totality around an hour later, with the eclipsed sun looking like a large sunflower hanging over the water. The corona was smaller than the '98 eclipse I witnessed on Aruba....but it seemed alive and moving....what a sight ! I kept my word to myself and just recorded a short video with the camcorder, and took in the rest of the short totality with just my eyes, until the diamond ring flashed , prompting the entire ship to cheer and rejoice at witnessing the event. It turns out that the eclipse chasers were clouded out on land, in Cornwall, UK...and also in some other spots after the shadow made landfall in mainland Europe. It was seen in full by many, in Turkey, and on the Black Sea cruise.
The cruise was again, a pleasure. We still had another 7 days to enjoy Newfoundland and our ports of call and time at sea. Whale and sea bird watching was superb. In addition to be treated to daily watching with Canadian expert Jon Lien (a great guy), we took a whale watching tour around Bird Island, where we witnesses close up views of Humpback and Minke whales, a large Atlantic Puffin colony, and countless other treats. On one warm night, while the ship cruised off the east coast of Newfoundland...the deck was suddenly bombarded with Leach's Storm Petrels...that might have been attracted to the ships lights, and were laying all over the deck. Most of them were stunned after hitting the ship...and woke up and flew off. One that didn't ..I picked up and brought to my cabin, and photographed. The flash woke it up, and I gently carried the bird out (after showing it to my son and his new friends)...and released it.
My son had completely enjoyed this experience....the eclipse, the cruise and food, and the friends he made, and the fact that I just let him live it up and do what he wanted, which was something he was not used to experiencing, at home. When we ported in St. Johns....we were met by the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. We boarded a bus, and were driven to a very dark sky site in rural Newfoundland, where we all had a grand time observing the annual Perseid meter shower, under pristine skies and conditions... another bonus that I'll always remember.
Another place that I won't soon forget...was Gros Morne National Park, on the west side of Newfoundland. This park had stunning scenery, along with moose, beaver, and a tour of the fjords from the waterway, that was fabulous...even though we did get wet. I met David Levy (a well know astronomer, with several comets he discovered...named after him, including the one... Shoemaker -Levy, that fragmented and crashed into Jupiter in 1994). David was a great guy to talk to (and humble), and also gave a very interesting presentation..to all, in the ships auditorium. It was a pleasure to have him sign a copy of his book for me.
So....I consider myself pretty damn luck to have witnessed these 4 eclipses. I've seen many partials...but none could hold a candle to what I described here.
When does the next one happen ? ...you might ask. Mark this one down on your calenders...ladies and gentleman. August 21, 2017, the moons shadow will start in the pacific and touch first in Oregon...and cut right across our great land, and end up in S. Carolina, before it moves off into the Atlantic. Here is a link to a website with more details:

http://www.mcglaun.com/eclipse/ECLIPSE2017_main.HTM

You won't want to miss it. Be there, or be square. You know I'll be there in the path...somewhere, no matter where I'm living at the time. I need to show one of these to my wife and daughter.
Well, if you miss that one (Please don't)....there is another crossing the US on April 8, 2024 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_April_8,_2024

If we are all alive and well, it takes a place right through my area of western NY. Cloud cover might be a problem....but who knows ? We had a great April, this year.

No comments: