Thursday, June 10, 2010

NY City....safer, but not cheaper or saner

I had little choice, but to go there. No longer can you renew an international passport, by mail. Another example of how 911 screwed the common folk in America, while others seem to profit from all of the many, post 911 regulations, so we are (of course) , safer ....... hmmmmmm.
My wife and daughter's Philippine passport was due to expire next month, and the Philippine consulate is in midtown Manhattan. I considered driving to the consulate in Toronto, but after adding it up (expenses) and thinking about the border crossings, currency exchange and the Gardner Expressway....naa, notta. Not to mention, that every time some China man airport security screener(while passing through Hong Kong) on route to and from the Philippines, examines my families passports...they Will ask...."why you live in NY, and this issued in Canada?...please step over here..... please".
I booked the flights, took a day off from work....and hoped for the best, in NYC. The only good part of the trip, was the flight down. From there, we waited in a taxi stand and then caught a cab to midtown. If anyone has ever traveled on the Van Wyck, during rush hour.... you already know what a nut house it is. Cabbies are all foreigners, and aggressive drivers, that will scare the crap out of you, all the way in, for the hellish ride in bumper to bumper traffic coming at you from everywhere. Fortunately, my wife and daughter slept through it all.
The Philippine consulate on 5th Ave, is not unlike any government building that I experienced while in the Philippines. In fact, it is a little slice of that experience...right here in the USA. Crowded, never enough chairs or space to get out of your own way, hot (no fans or AC), and an important looking Pinoy wearing a Barong Tagalog...pointing everywhere, and not speaking his known English (Yes, this is America). Despite this confusing (not to my wife, of course) run around pain in the ass....the process of paperwork, fingerprints, and photos all went ok, and was done there at the consulate, in an hour and a half. Everyone smiles there, at least. The main reason we went...is accomplished.
We caught another cab to Battery Park, so that my wife and daughter (and me) could experience the ferry ride to the Statue, and Ellis Island. The ride was bumpy, with the Arab looking cabby heavy on both the brakes, and gas peddle. My daughter has a riding motion sickness, and it kicked in high gear. You would think he would slow down and ease up some...well, not a chance. My daughter lost her breakfast, lunch.... and was suffering. When we finally arrived, there was a thick line of people, that I estimate was at least a quarter mile long, or longer. I don't believe we would have made a ferry ride, much before sundown . Due to my daughter's terrible condition, we canceled our restaurant plans (Jollybee, in Queens) and told the cabby to head back to JFK....which he was more than happy to reset his meter, and charge again, the flat fee ($45 plus more fees and ass burn) . The traffic at noon, was still heavy, and something told me...it always is. We were lucky to get on an earlier flight out, after canceling our later, planned one. We flew standby, and some nice lady made sure my wife and daughter sat together, by exchanging seats.
Although I've done my share of bitching in this post, let me take the time to compliment Jet Blue airlines for a hassle free trip, a free drink and snack each way, and for hiring two very nice and courteous stewardess ...that we had each way on the trip, and were very good to my wife and sick little girl. A refreshing change from the white trash acting stewardess hags, and the babbling, lisping feminine stewards.... that we had on our last several intercontinental flights on American Airlines. The pilot came through for us, with a safe landing , after another rough decent into Rochester (I've had more than a few, now) with gusty westerly winds.
This trip reminded me of why I was anxious to come home, after working in Manhattan back in the '80s. The streets are still smelly, crowded, and not any wider (accept for Broadway, and the Times Square area). Here's a rundown on the expenses :
Airfare for three.... $480
Passport renewals and photos....$120
Taxi fares...$120
Lost wages (unpaid day off)....$190
Meal and snacks...$60
On airport parking...$11
My wife and daughters passports renewed, so they can travel at will, to the country of their birth..... priceless

No comments: